What is PASSING?
A TOOL FOR ANALYZING SERVICE QUALITY ACCORDING TO SOCIAL ROLE VALORIZATION – PASSING is an instrument for evaluating the quality of any human service according to how well it implements Social Role Valorization theory. The following text from the Training Institute for Human Service Planning, Leadership and Change Agentry describes the latest version of the PASSING tool. Thomas WW 2007Overview_of_new_PASSING_WW
This page provides a number of resources about PASSING and its predecessor, PASS:
Guidelines for Evaluators of PASS/PASSING
Wolfensberger, W. (1983). Guidelines for Evaluators during a PASS, PASSING, or similar assessment of human service quality. Toronto: National Institute on Mental Retardation. The book can be downloaded here: WW1983Guidelines for PASS PASSING-complete
Research Articles on PASSING
PASS & PASSING references – September 2020
- Demaine, G. C., Silverstein, A. B., &Mayeda, T. (1980). Validation of PASS 3: A first step in service evaluation through environmental assessment. Mental Retardation, 18, 131-134. – Link to article: Demaine 1980 Validation_of_PASS_3.
- Felce, D., & Perry, J. (1997). A PASS 3 evaluation of community residences in Wales. Mental Retardation, 35, 170-176. Link to article: Felce1997-PASS_3_Evaluation_of_Communi
- Flynn, R. J. (1980). Normalization, PASS, and service quality assessment: How normalizing are current human services? In R. J. Flynn & K. E. Nitsch (Eds.), Normalization, social integration, and community services (pp. 323-357). Baltimore: University Park Press. Link to chapter: R- Flynn 1980 Normalization Pass Quality-PDF
- Flynn, R. J. (1999). A comprehensive review of research conducted with the program evaluation instruments PASS and PASSING. A Quarter Century of Normalization and Social role Valorization: Evolution and Impact (317-349). Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press. Link to chapter: Flynn 1999 Review of PASS PASSING.
- Flynn, R. J., Guirguis, M., Wolfensberger, W., & Cocks, E. (1999). Cross-validated factor structures and factor-based subscales for PASS and PASSING. Mental Retardation. 37(4) 281-296. Link to article: Flynn1999-PASSINGcrossValidatedFactorSttructure.
- Flynn, R. J., Lapointe, N., Wolfensberger, W., & Thomas, S. (1991). Quality of institutional and community human service programs in Canada and the United States. Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, i 6, 146-153. Link to article: Flynn WW 1991 Measuring Quality Human Service Programs.
- Thomas, S., & Wolfensberger, W. (2007). The new (3rd, 2007) edition of PASSING. The SRV Journal, 2(1), 58-62. Link to article: Thomas WW 2007Overview_of_new_PASSING_WW.
- Williams, P. (1995). The results from PASS and PASSING Evaluations. In D. Pilling & G. Watson (Eds.), Evaluating quality in services for disabled and older people (pp. 61-77). London, England & Bristol, PA: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Wolfensberger,W. (1978). The Ideal Human Service for a Societally Devalued Group Rehabilitation Literature. (1), 15-17. Link to article: WW 1978 Ideal Human Service Devalued Group.
- Wolfensberger, W., & Glenn, L. (1975). Program analysis of service systems (PASS): A method for the quantitative evaluation of human services (3rd ed.). Vol. 1: Handbook. Vol. 2: Field manual. Toronto, ON: National Institute on Mental Retardation. Link to book: https://digitalcommons.unmc.edu/wolf_books/3/.
- Wolfensberger, W., & Thomas, S. (1989). PASSING (Programme d’analyse des systèmes de services-applications des buts de la Valorisation des Rôles Sociaux): Manuel des critères et des mesures de la Valorisation des Rôles Sociaux (2eme ed.). (M. Roberge, Trans.; J. Pelletier, Adapt.). Toronto, ON: Institut G. Allan Roeher & Les Communications OPELL. This book may be purchased from the Valor Press: https://presse.valorsolutions.ca/en/passing-fr.
- Wolfensberger, W., & Thomas, S. (2007). PASSING: A tool for analyzing service quality according to Social Role Valorization criteria. Ratings manual (3rd rev. ed.). Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Training Institute for Human Service Planning, Leadership & Change Agentry. This book may be purchased from the Valor Press: https://presse.valorsolutions.ca/en/passing.